Thursday, September 22, 2011

Who Needs Sleep?

Isn't it funny how we go through different stages with our sleeping?  I remember hating bedtime as a kid, especially in the summers when it was still light outside.  I loved getting up early, though, to watch cartoons and play.  As a teen, I still was not eager to go to bed.  I loved to stay up late, but the mornings were not early if I could help it and those that were early were not always pretty (especially if Dad decided to tease me about it!)  Then there's the life of a college student.  I think I lived more by the "late to bed and early to rise means more time for studying and playing" rule.  As I became a nurse and switched back and forth between night and day shifts, I learned to sleep really well during the day, but had a hard time sleeping at night.  As a single gal, one had to stay up later to have a social life, but when you get home at 8 in the morning.... Well, you get the idea.  When I got married, I learned to go to bed early with my husband so you'd think I'd learn to get up earlier.  Wrong!  I just enjoyed 10 hours or more of sleep on my days off!  If only you could really stock up on sleep!  Now as I sit here feeding my little boy and the night gets later, I'm reminded of the words of the song by the Barenaked Ladies- "Who needs sleep?  Well, you're never gonna get it!"  Lucky for me, I still get some sleep, it's just in 2-4 hour blocks.  But seriously, who needs sleep anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment